Position Title: Algorithms & Harmonized Data Working Group (AHD) - Operational Lead
FTE: Part-time (0.4 FTE)
Salary: Commensurate with experience and geographical location
Location: Applications from anywhere in Canada are welcome; those from Central Canada preferred (Hybrid/Remote/In-Person depending on geographical location)
Health Data Research Network Canada (HDRN Canada) is a research-enabling, distributed network that supports multi-regional, person-focused research. The work of HDRN Canada is supported by a seven-year, $39M grant awarded by the CIHR under its Strategy for Patient-Oriented Research (SPOR) and has in-kind contributions from network member organizations across Canada. HDRN Canada is a federally incorporated not-for-profit organization with many complex and strategic relationships with Ministries of Health and other government entities (which are often funders of network members), with federal agencies and with other groups, networks and data providers. The network comprises every national, provincial, and territorial centre that holds population-wide health data. As HDRN Canada, our 14 centres work together and share resources to support researchers in using the 500+ health and social datasets that our centres hold.
HDRN Canada is seeking a part-time Operational Lead to support its Algorithms & Harmonized Data (AHD) Working Group. The AHD Working Group includes members from each of HDRN Canada’s 14 member data centres who oversee the development of data resources and their metadata and measures of population health, health service use and determinants of health that can be used for research in all provinces and territories. We are seeking a person who will lead and coordinate complex multi-site projects about electronic health and social data resources and their metadata, and measures of population health, health service use and determinants of health that can be used for research in all provinces and territories.
Supervision will be provided by the Director of Operations and the Strategic Lead of the AHD Working Group.
The incumbent may direct the work of the AHD Working Group, external service providers, including contractors, and may provide direction on specific tasks to other team members, trainees, or student staff.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Be familiar with best practices in data governance, data documentation and meta data development and curation
- Have an understanding of current methodological issues in the use of population-based electronic health and social data for research, such as development and validation of case-finding algorithms, de-identification tools and methods, and linkage of diverse data sources
- Able to supervise, delegate tasks effectively, build and foster a positive work culture
- Able to adjust to new circumstances or adjust to new situations
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both with external clients and internal partners and staff
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within a team environment
- Ability to exercise initiative, judgment and discretion
- Ability to take initiative and use problem-solving skills to provide the information needed in decision-making, with accuracy and in a timely manner is necessary.
- Strong organizational abilities to coordinate complex projects involving multiple stakeholders, ensuring efficient resource allocation and effective progress tracking
- Be flexible and adaptable to navigate interconnected relationships and evolving priorities within a multi-region network
- Willingness to respect diverse perspectives, including perspectives in conflict with one’s own
- Demonstrates a commitment to enhancing one’s own awareness, knowledge, and skills related to inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility
- Prepare oral and written reports about project status and present them to HDRN partners
- Track and evaluate the progress and impact of AHD Working Group initiatives. Identify areas for improvement, address challenges, and implement corrective measures as necessary
- Attend and/or contribute to events and meetings related to AHD Working Group and HDRN Canada
- Identify opportunities for improving process within the organization
- Facilitates the operationalization of the AHD Working Group, supporting varies activities and initiatives led by the Strategic Lead of the AHD Working Group
- Collaborate with members across our network including other HDRN Canada Working Groups and Teams
- Engage with other relevant groups (e.g., government entities, federal agencies) to gather input and align data harmonization efforts with their requirements and priorities
- Foster collaborative relationships, seek feedback, and ensure the AHD Working Group's activities support broader healthcare initiatives
- Perform other related duties as needed
Education: Master’s degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Health Sciences, Biostatistics, Epidemiology or other relevant discipline; or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Formal training in project management is an asset.
- Minimum four years of related experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working within a data-focused organization or health-related institution is an asset.
- Experience or working knowledge of a range of health research methods and processes is an asset.
- Experience conducting or managing research using administrative data, electronic medical records, and clinical health data is essential.
- Experience in working within a statutorily-regulated or a privacy-sensitive environment is highly desirable.
- This will be an english speaking role but bilingualism (English and French) is an asset
Application Deadline: June 25, 2023
To apply, please submit your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 25, 2023 at 11:59 pm PDT.