The organizations that make up Health Data Research Network Canada (HDRN Canada) hold and manage population-wide health and health-related data infrastructure that is used by hundreds of expert analysts and researchers across Canada.
HDRN Canada is gathering information about the availability of COVID-19-related data resources to support researchers who are interested in conducting multi-jurisdictional research. Access to these resources will accelerate and improve the quality of COVID-19 analytics, predictive models and research studies that include multiple provinces and territories.
Latest Updates as of October 30, 2020
COVID-19 lab testing data are currently available for research purposes in five Canadian provinces: BC, AB, MB, ON, NL. Information about COVID-19 lab testing data is now available here, including:
- The availability of selected variables/fields in the COVID-19 lab testing data in these provinces.
- An overview of the data, including frequency of data updates, and the dates of testing currently captured in the data.
- HDRN Canada is partnering with Canadian Partnership for Tomorrow’s Health (CanPath) to support research teams interested in leveraging linked data, including COVID-19 related data from CanPath’s COVID-19 Questionnaire and provincial data centres where available. Learn more.
New Links and Resources
- ICES’ COVID-19 Laboratory Results concept (available here) provides detail on the methods developed by ICES, in collaboration with the Ministry of Health, to identify COVID-19 cases in the Ontario Laboratories Information System (OLIS) – the provincial repository of laboratory tests and results. This concept further describes considerations for analysis, potential limitations, and overlap between OLIS and other sources of COVID-19 laboratory data.
- CIHI recently issued an update to Physician billing codes in response to COVID-19, and introduced new ICD-10-CA coding direction for COVID-19–related multisystem inflammatory syndrome
- As well, the COVID-19 Intervention Scan and the Intervention Timeline on the CIHI website were also updated on October 21, 2020
- In addition, in long term care and continuing care, CIHI will be implementing a new data element to collect information on a person’s COVID-19 status at time of discharge, effective for discharges as of October 1, 2020
- HDRN Canada is working with a number of partners to identify COVID-19 data gaps and needs in order to further support multi-jurisdictional research.
- HDRN Canada is engaging with the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), national cohort studies, and networks such as the Canadian Primary Care Sentinel Surveillance Network (CPCSSN) to accelerate Canada’s response to COVID-19. In particular, identifying opportunities to facilitate more timely and complete access to health administrative data; data standardization, integration and linkage across jurisdictions; and filling data and information gaps.
- As of July 2020, HDRN Canada is a key partner in the newly launched International COVID-19 Data Research Alliance and Workbench, a coordinated international platform to support the rapid development of insights and treatments to combat the global effects of COVID-19.
- As of September 2020, HDRN Canada is partnering with Canadian Partnership for Tomorrow’s Health (CanPath) to support research teams interested in leveraging linked data, including COVID-19 related data from CanPath’s COVID-19 Questionnaire and provincial data centres where available. Learn more.
Register for Updates
Please fill out the form below to receive news and updates related to COVID-19.