The organizations that make up Health Data Research Network Canada (HDRN Canada) hold and manage population-wide health and health-related data infrastructure that is used by hundreds of expert analysts and researchers across Canada.
HDRN Canada is gathering information about the availability of COVID-19-related data resources to support researchers who are interested in conducting multi-jurisdictional research. Access to these resources will accelerate and improve the quality of COVID-19 analytics, predictive models and research studies that include multiple provinces and territories.
Latest Updates as of September 18, 2020
COVID-19 lab testing data are currently available for research purposes in five Canadian provinces: BC, AB, MB, ON, NL. Information about COVID-19 lab testing data is now available on our resource page, including:
- The availability of selected variables/fields in the COVID-19 lab testing data in these provinces.
- An overview of the data, including frequency of data updates, and the dates of testing currently captured in the data.
- HDRN Canada is partnering with Canadian Partnership for Tomorrow’s Health (CanPath) to support research teams interested in leveraging linked data, including COVID-19 related data from CanPath’s COVID-19 Questionnaire and provincial data centres where available. Learn more.
New Links and Resources
- On September 3, 2020, CIHI released data on COVID-19 cases and deaths among health care workers. This data can help ministries of health, professional associations and others to better understand the impact of COVID-19 on the health workforce.
- On September 10, 2020, CIHI launched an interactive tool that showcases Canada’s response to COVID-19 through a focused, customizable timeline of key interventions. Explore CIHI’s interactive COVID-19 timeline to see when Canada’s federal, provincial and territorial governments implemented key interventions in response to changing COVID-19 case counts. Users can create a customized timeline of COVID-19 interventions and daily case counts, with a focus on a jurisdiction, time period and type of intervention. Interventions in the timeline link back to CIHI’s COVID-19 Intervention Scan, which provides more details and links to official sources.
- HDRN Canada is working with a number of partners to identify COVID-19 data gaps and needs in order to further support multi-jurisdictional research.
- HDRN Canada is engaging with the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), national cohort studies, and networks such as the Canadian Primary Care Sentinel Surveillance Network (CPCSSN) to accelerate Canada’s response to COVID-19. In particular, identifying opportunities to facilitate more timely and complete access to health administrative data; data standardization, integration and linkage across jurisdictions; and filling data and information gaps.
- As of July 2020, HDRN Canada is a key partner in the newly launched International COVID-19 Data Research Alliance and Workbench, a coordinated international platform to support the rapid development of insights and treatments to combat the global effects of COVID-19.
- As of September 2020, HDRN Canada is partnering with Canadian Partnership for Tomorrow’s Health (CanPath) to support research teams interested in leveraging linked data, including COVID-19 related data from CanPath’s COVID-19 Questionnaire and provincial data centres where available. Learn more.
Register for Updates
Please fill out the form below to receive news and updates related to COVID-19.