The SPOR Canadian Data Platform (SPOR CDP) is the first initiative of HDRN Canada. It is funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research – Canada's national health research funder – and contributions from provincial, territorial and pan-Canadian organizations.
SPOR CDP infrastructure supports improved access to data, automation of data analysis, and ongoing engagement with the public, patients, and Indigenous communities.
HDRN Canada's Data Access Support Hub (DASH) is pioneering a single stop for researchers to request access to rich health and social data from various sources across the country.
Currently, the data access process differs across jurisdictions in terms of the forms required, the fees charged, the physical location of the data, and more. By reducing barriers to information access, HDRN Canada will enable investigators to conduct multi-jurisdictional, people and patient-focused research more efficiently.
- Create a data access support system that helps navigate requests from two or more jurisdictions.
- Harmonize and validate definitions for chronic diseases and other key analytic variables
- Expand the sources and types of data and linkages available, including clinical and social data.
- Develop the technological infrastructure required to improve the data access request process as well as the documentation, storage, and re-use of algorithms and existing data.
- Create supports for advanced analytics and infrastructure for data collection and analysis.
- Establish strong partnerships with patients and the public and with Indigenous communities.
- Build strong governance and enable national coordination.
The Canadian Data Platform (SPOR CDP) is made possible through Canada’s Strategy for Patient-Oriented Research (SPOR), which is supported by funding from CIHR, provinces and territories, philanthropic organizations, academic institutions and health charities, including:
- BC SUPPORT Unit
- Population Data BC, University of British Columbia
- Alberta SPOR SUPPORT Unit
- Saskatchewan Health Quality Council (HQC)
- George and Fay Yee Centre for Healthcare Innovation (CHI), University of Manitoba
- Manitoba Centre for Health Policy (MCHP), University of Manitoba
- Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences (ICES)
- Ontario SPOR SUPPORT Unit
- Québec SPOR SUPPORT Unit
- Groupe de recherche interdisciplinaire en informatique de la santé (GRIIS)
- Institut national d’excellence en santé et en services sociaux (INESSS)
- Maelstrom Research
- Maritime SPOR SUPPORT Unit (MSSU)
- New Brunswick Institute for Research, Data and Training
- Health Data Nova Scotia (HDNS), Dalhousie University
- Centre for Health and Community Research, University of PEI
- Newfoundland & Labrador Centre for Health Information
- Newfoundland & Labrador SUPPORT Unit (NL SUPPORT)
- Hotıì ts’eeda: Northwest Territories SPOR SUPPORT Unit
- Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI)
- Statistics Canada
Explore the documents below to learn more about the SPOR Canadian Data Platform (SPOR CDP).
Proposal Summary (July 2018)
Invitational webinar for SPOR funded entities (April 2019)